Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The differences between DVDs and Blu-ray

Whenever I do Blu-ray encodes I always like to compare the resulting BDRIP with the normal DVD check out any differences. For H!P's 2011 Winter Concert (A-gana version), I did exactly that and decided to share the results. This should help anyone who is on the fence about the powers of Blu-ray.






Here is a gif I made that compares two screenshots. The first is from my 480p encode of the normal A-gana DVD that I encoded a month ago. The second screenshot is from the 480p Blu-ray version that I have yet to upload. I would strongly, strongly suggest that you click on the gif to see it in full-size.


If you click on it, the differences should be pretty obvious. For example, look at the middle step. On the normal DVD it's quite blurry; blu-ray really shows off the step's scratchiness. Another example are the colors. Look at the red stripes in the background and see how they are much more vibrant in the blu-ray screenshot. Yossie's dress too.

And finally here is one more gif. It's complete overkill, but it allows you to see the differences even more clearly. The first screenshot is the normal 480p DVD and the second is my unreleased 1080p blu-ray rip. Once again, please click on it to see it in full-size.


In this comparison, everything is significantly clearer - especially their jewelry. I shouldn't even have to point out the differences in that gif. It should be quite obvious on its own.

In short, blu-ray is amazing and I'm glad UFA embraces technology as much as they do.

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to switch to Blu-Ray, the problem is that I always rip my DVD's to HDD for convenience and for portable play on my iPhone, iPad and other devices and the filesize on those Blu-Ray rips can be daunting.

    Although HDMI upscaling does a decent job of upping the picture quality for me (although not to Blu-Ray quality of course)

    Also I'm still kind of mad HD-DVD lost, I'm really not a fan of Sony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ lol I feel you with HDDVDs. I have a HDDVD player add-on for my Xbox 360 and a bunch of HDDVDs to go with it. At least they are dirt cheap now, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing but great work as usual from senpai~
    You can really tell how blinged out Yossie is lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^ it's the awesomeness of blu-ray, not me~

    but YES it's all sparkly in the blu-ray version~

    ReplyDelete