Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Watching H!P in full HD: Fankora Blu-ray

My first ever Hello! Project Blu-ray DVD finally came in the mail. I recently bought a Blu-ray burner drive for my PC because my old DVD burner drive is getting old and has been acting weird lately. It's a cheap off-brand that I snatched from my old HP PC so I'm not really surprised.

Newegg has a nice deal on a couple of Blu-ray drives (which is still going on right now) so I jumped at the opportunity to buy one.

$80 for a Blu-ray burner drive plus free software and 3D glasses? Pretty nice deal considering Blu-ray burners are normally at least $100 and usually $120 for a decent one.

So, to test the thing out, I bought the Fankora Blu-ray concert. It has extra performances not on the regular DVD and of course it's in full 1920x1080 HD.

Front cover
We've already seen all of the bonus performances on the Fankora Special FC DVD, but the quality of the ISO is absolutely horrible. I downloaded the .avi DVD-Rip and thought it was the fault of the encoder of the .avi, but after watching some of the ISO, I can safely say that the Fankora FC DVD is one of the worst quality ISOs I've ever seen. Even for UFA standards.

Back
So, at least with this Blu-ray DVD we get to see the performances in near perfect quality. Not to mention they are the full length performances, whereas the FC DVD performances are only 1 minute 30 seconds max.

Inside
Since I've stopped Youtube uploading for a while, I have quite a lot of encoding free time, so I might as well put this beast of a encoding PC that I built to the test, encoding a DVD-Rip of this Blu-ray DVD. That way I can (hopefully) sell this DVD on eBay or something and stop my wallet from crying from this purchase.

I already encoded Morning Musume's Alo-Hello 4 Blu-Ray to a .mp4 DVD-Rip, but didn't release it to the public. If I'm satisfied with the results of this encode, I'll probably go ahead and upload it to the tracker.

Just in case anyone is curious as to what kind of encoding power something like this takes, I'll make a follow-up post when I finish. Though I fully expect over a day of non-stop encoding (since it took approx. 25 hours to finish MM's Alo4).

EDIT: This project is currently delayed canceled. I wasn't 100% happy with the results (though I'm sure most people would be okay with them), so it will have to wait until I have more time. In the meantime, you can download the the bonus content if you want to.

http://hotfile.com/dl/92487007/9c9e30a/Extra_Performances_1.mkv.html
http://hotfile.com/dl/92649913/16c7bae/Extra_Performances_2.mkv.html

Specs: 1280x720 mkv
aac audio
chapters
about 1.30 GB each/about 30 minutes each

2 comments:

  1. LMAO I BET I CAN ENCODE IT FASTER THEN YOU MHM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet I couldn't encode jack shit even with step by step instructions written for a 3 year old!! lol

    ReplyDelete