Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Best of 2010: Songs (B-sides)

Yesterday I talked about my top five A-sides of 2010, and three days ago I ranked my favorite album songs. Today I'm moving on to B-sides.

Because they almost never gets a PV, B-sides are often forgotten, or simply ignored by far too many people. That is a huge mistake. A lot of the time B-sides are pretty awesome and occasionally I will enjoy it more than the featured single. So anyway, here we go.

Top 5 B-sides

5. Hello! Esper! Hello! (B-side to Mano Erina's Haru no Arashi)



This was also the theme song to her awesome drama Hanbun Esper, which you can watch subbed by Hyakupa. Since I watched the drama, I got a little more exposure to this song that I normally would have alone and I am thankful for that. It's a pretty cool song by Manoeri. Her pronunciation of hello is so cute~

4. Aisare Sugiru Koto wa Nai no yo (B-side to Morning Musume's Onna to Otoko no Lullaby Game)



For me, Morning Musume really dominates with their B-sides. Expect another Musume B-side on the list because of that.

Aisare is a really nice upbeat song that compliments Lullaby Game well. It's one of those B-sides that is borderline as good as the feature song. Actually, in light of the graduations, I would have loved to have a double A-side here to maximize the Eri/Jun/Lin exposure with a second PV.

This song isn't quite as catchy as Lullaby Game, which is why I am mostly fine with it being a B-side, but it's still a song you can have fun with.

3. Nakidasu Kamo Shirenai yo (B-side to Morning Musume's Onna ga Medatte Naze Ikenai)



See, I told you there would be another Musume B-side on the list. This one gets the edge over Aisare because I like the change in style. It's kind of a Japanese take on R&B which is pretty cool. This is a song that I would let my non Japanese obsessed friends listen to and expect them to not make fun of it.

2. MIRACLE HAPPY LOVE SONG (B-side to Buono!'s Our Songs)



SO AWESOME IT MUST BE TYPED IN ALL CAPS.

But seriously this song is Buono! at their best. Just like the title says, it's quite happy. Makes me want to get up and dance while smiling or something. Also it has like the longest held note I've ever heard a H!P girl sing (@ like 2:55 in the video). And to think I once thought Momoko had no range.


1. Smile Bijin (B-side to S/mileage's Ganbaranakutemo ee nende)



Surprise surprise. Another S/mileage song tops one of my lists. I was guilty of not listening to this song right away, but when I did I was in awe. Ganbara blahblah is a really, really awesome song and so is Smile Bijin.

Next I will rank my top five PVs of 2010.

2 comments:

  1. My fav this year was Dance de bakoon!´s B-side.....omg i love that song

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really like Moon Power and I didn't like any of C-ute's 2010 B-sides enough to rank above any of the five listed.

    ReplyDelete