Saturday, November 27, 2010

C-ute 2010 Cutie Circuit Concert Review

Just in case you didn't know, C-ute does this Cutie Circuit thing at least once a year on the same date: September 10th. The Japanese title is more or less the same every year, "℃-ute Cutie Circuit 2010~9月10日は℃-uteの日~", which translates to "C-ute Cutie Circuit September 10th, 2010 is C-ute's Day."

C-ute's day indeed. They have held their yearly Cutie Circuit every year since 2007 on September 10th. It's become an annual tradition, just like the DJ Maimai, MC Chissa, and MC Kappa skit that I eagerly anticipate.

Yesterday night, I was able to watch the concert DVD in its entirety and before I even write this review, I can tell that there will be a lot of highly rated performances. I'm not ready to crown it just yet, but I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a C-ute concert (or any H!P concert, really) from start to finish as much as I did this one. I've only written reviews for two H!P concerts before, and neither got an overall score higher than 7.5/10. Can C-ute change that trend?

1. Everyday Zekkouchou

I used to not like this song, but I've grown quite fond to it over the last year or so. Anyway, it was a nice opening to the concert. Not too upbeat but not too slow either. Also, I love the Dance de Bakoon! outfits that they dance in the majority of the concert in. Chisato, Mai, and Nakajima look exceptionally awesome with their hairstyles.
7.5/10

2. Ooki na de Motenashite
A C-ute classic for sure. I can't remember it being performed so early, so it was a nice surprise. Nothing much to say about the song; if you're a C-ute fan, you've heard this a million times already. What I will say is that the second spot is nice for a song like this. It has plenty of moments to get the crowd involved and has a nice tempo.
7.5/10

3. Akogare My Star
This was like the only song I liked from that album. It's one of the most played songs on my iPod, so naturally I love it whenever it's concert performed. Everyone gets lines which is cool. Also loved how the wota would sing along during parts, especially during Mai's first solo "bye bye". There was also a pretty epic Chisato and Mai dance solo in the middle. I love it when they change up the song slightly for concerts.
9/10

4. Bye Bye Bye
I never thought I'd say this, but I like this song. I nearly hated it when it released, but that was probably due to me missing Kanna. Nakajima's volcaloid parts are great. Again, another fair song. Everyone gets a chance to shine. The instrumental dance break is still a little awkward though.
8/10

5. As One (Airi, Chisato, Mai)
One word: YES. I love, love this song. My three favorite C-ute members are singing it. Under normal circumstances, this would hands down be the best performance of the concert, but that just goes to show how awesome this concert was. As far as the performance itself, it was definitely my favorite version. Normally with all of C-ute it seems a little biased towards Airi, but with only three people singing, it seemed a little more fair. I have a feeling someone will be subbing this whenever they have time. *cough*
10/10

6. Enka singer Nakkiko and Manager Yajima-chan MC
Normally I don't review MCs, but this was like the greatest MC ever. I didn't understand most of it, but still I had tons of fun watching. When Nakajima mentioned ENK48 I nearly woke my parents from laughter. Normally I don't like MCs that sway towards the longer side, but when they are of this quality, I certainly don't mind. Plus we get to hear Nakajima sing enka. And Maimi looked pretty hawt in casual business attire.

7. DJ Maimai, MC Chissa, MC Kappa MC
Reviewing two MCs in one concert? To be fair, the DJ Maimai skits are always top notch. This one wasn't any different. There have been quite a few of them, but I must say this newest one was by far the best. The jokes (from what I could understand) were better, as were the song choices. Genkimono de Ikou! was a huge surprise. Funny that we get to see C-ute perform it live before Manoeri does, lol. I just wish they had performed a little of Rottara Rottara (and apparently the wota did too with their constant "ehhhh?!"s). Even if you don't understand a single word of Japanese and even if you never watch another MC in your life, you should watch this one. It's even better than the previous one.

8. Bishojou Shinri
This was my favorite C-ute song for the longest. Dance de Bakoon! now holds that title, but that doesn't at all change how great Bishojou Shinri is. If a song ever was the definitely of epic, it's this.
10/10

9. Wakkyanai Z
Probably my least favorite of the indies. Though it does sound better concert performed.
7/10

10. Shiritsu Kyougaku (Maimi, Saki)
Okay, I do not like this song. At all. I'll be happy if this song is never performed again, along with that LALALA song. Nakajima and Maimi are C-ute's two best dancers, so give them a song they can actually dance to. I was really disappointed with this because the concert was going so well too.
2/10

11. Time Capsule
Another song that's not my favorite, but whatever song followed Shiritsu Kyougaku was guaranteed to be better. At least Nakajima got a couple of lines here. Also the dance is pretty cool, especially during the instrumental break. The song is a little too slow for me though. Would prefer it near the very end of a concert.
6.5/10

12. Dance de Bakoon!
If you've been reading thus far you'll know this is my current favorite C-ute song. Love the song. Love the dance even more. Actually this is like my favorite H!P dance ever. This song is an excellent change of pace from the previous two. I could listen to this all day.
10/10

13. Massara Blue Jeans
lol, from Dance de Bakoon! to this is quite interesting. Definitely two of C-ute's most provocative awesome dances. That's a lot of hip thrusting in a short amount of time (not that I'm complaining). Massara is another song I can't get enough of. I'm pretty sure if they just performed this 15 times, the concert would have been equally awesome.
10/10

14. Forever Love
At the beginning Nakajima gets to show off her dancing skills, cool. Again, I love when they slightly change up a song for concerts. Nice way to make a great song even greater. Normally I wouldn't rate this song as high as I'm about to, but the dance solo got it extra points.
10/10

15. Jump
It seems like they perform this at every C-ute concert, but it really is the ultimate back-end concert song. Probably the best H!P has. Tons of room for cheering and chanting by the crowd and all around energy from everyone. I normally skip this song since I've heard it so many times, but this one was slightly better than most.
8.5/10

16. Kore Ijou Kirawaretakunai no
I have a confession to make. I had no idea what this song was. I thought it was some old H!P song that they for some reason decided to sing. I had bought Dance de Bakoon! off of iTunes, but not the B-side. Apparently I forgot to download the B-side when the single officially came out. So this was my first time ever hearing the song. Overall I liked it. No where near the quality of Dance de Bakoon!, but for a B-side its not bad at all.
8/10

17. Big Dreams
I don't really like this song, so I'll just talk about the new outfits for a minute. Instead of their Dance de Bakoon! PV outfits, they have on their member color t-shirts as well as some shorts (or in Nakajima's case, regular blue jeans). The outfits are pretty normal, but that's why I like them. We rarely get to see the girls in jeans. Nakajima sticks out, but she looks the best. Anyway, the song is nothing special. At this point I was zoned out and didn't pay much attention.
6/10

Overall I found this to be an excellent concert. I've never given out so many perfect scores. With the exception of maybe two songs, I enjoyed myself from start to finish, even with the MCs. The two outfits they wore were perfect. Every member pretty much got a chance to shine. From the DJ Maimai skit to the Nakajima MC and dance solo, this concert had its memorable moments. I think this is my new favorite C-ute concert of all time. The only thing holding it back from a perfect overall score is the couple lame songs. 9/10

1 comments: