Sunday, September 26, 2010

A more perfect Musume

Why is it that I can never finish blog posts when I intend to? I've been wanting to complete this ever since the 9th Generation auditions were announced, but once again, school got in the way.

First, I applaud Tsunku for letting the Eggs have a chance to audition. I would rather he just choose a few, but this method at least gives some of the underdogs a chance.


But anyway, if I suddenly were in charge, this is how I would shape Morning Musume.

With only five members left after the graduation, I would look to add at least three members. To keep Morning Musume from becoming too big, five would be the maximum. Four would be the perfect number.

Of those four members, at least half would be Eggs. Replacing the likes of Eri, Linlin, and Junjun (whom I consider to be two excellent singers, and an excellent personality, respectively) won't be easy. Fortunately Eggs are experienced and I do believe there are quite a few suitable replacements waiting to be chosen.

Who I'd add (ignoring the age limit)

1.

Kikkawa Yuu

She originally auditioned for Morning Musume during the 8th Generation auditions, but was beat out by Mitsui Aika. Yuu is hands down the most talented Egg and I believe, with some live practice with the group, would be on par with Linlin's vocal abilities. Also a possible replacement to take over Aichan's lines whenever she graduates. Not a "wow" personality, but I think there is more to Yuu than we've seen.


2.
Furukawa Konatsu

Also missing the age limit by less than one year is Konatsu. She would be the personality option. Konatsu has always intrigued me and I'm not exactly sure why. She just seems like she's a Morning Musume wota. She always gives 100% energy and effort and has a decent voice. The ideal replacement for Junjun.


3.

Saho Akari



























My wildcard pick. Saho is an interesting one. After being together with Maeda Yuuka, Fukuda Kanon, and Wada Ayaka in Shuugo Chara Eggs, she wasn't chosen for S/mileage for reasons only Tsunku knows. Was it because she was lacking something? Or did Tsunku have bigger plans for Saho? It may be a bit of both. I see a lot of potential in Saho. In her limited opportunities (i.e. Aa!), she has held her own with some of the better Hello! Project singers. Being in Morning Musume would only make her better. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, Saho does not have a standout personality. There's nothing particularly wrong with that (especially with her potential), but it is worth noting.

4 and/or 5.

Audition winner(s). The main thing I would be looking for here is personality. Something that grabs your attention and wants you to listen to what she has to say. Next would be age. I wouldn't pick anyone over 16. Preferably around 14 years old. After that, if there is a particularly good dancer or singer, I'd consider adding them, but they'd really have to blow me away.


Who I'd add (keeping the age limit in mind)

1.






















Saho jumps to my #1 spot. I have enough faith in her potential that I think she will be better than Eri singing wise, with a year of being with Morning Musume.


2.
Kitahara Sayaka
 
Another Egg that I see with tons of potential. She has a totally unique voice that you either love or hate -- there is no inbetween. She actually reminds me of a younger Risako. Sayaka suffers from the same problems Risako did three years ago. She has major control issues. Though Risako is living proof that it is not impossible to overcome. If she is able to get her voice under control, she would be a Momoko or Yuuka type, except with more power. Also, she brings quite a bit of experience to the table due to her Kirarin groups/concerts/live shows. Not to mention she seems to have a pretty decent personality.

3.
Maeda Irori


Irori is another interesting one. She's only 13 years old so it's quite difficult to determine just how good she is (and how good she will become), but she has showed flashes of brillance.  

4 and/or 5.

Audition winner(s). This time I'd mainly be looking for girls with stand out singing abilities. It's not that the three above are bad singers; it's just that neither has really proven themselves and I'd add another girl with great potential to even things a bit more. If there is a fifth winner, I'd look for personality. 


And there you have it. Yuu, Konatsu, and Saho would be my main choices, but it's doubtful it will happen due to the age limit. I still think it's possible for one of the girls that are 18 to be added Miki style but I wouldn't count on it. Honestly, if even one of the six girls I listed above makes it I will be ecstatic. I have my fingers crossed for Saho.

2 comments:

  1. After watching the HiP Eggs 2007 concert.

    The only resason I could think of why Jj, Ll & Aika where there was for experience.

    S/Mileage OmG they are just little kids. Wada Ayaka surprised me on how dark her skin tone was.

    If I didn't know better they were show casing Ogawa Saki. She did a lot of performances.

    Okies on to my 2nd & 3rd choices to join MM . . . unfortunately both are no longer with HiP. Both are from the group ( that I never heard of before ) called The Possible, Oose Kaede & Hashimoto Aina.

    So I went to Helloproject.com & purely going by appearance I tried to imagine them as a MM member so here are my picks ( before re-looking up your blog entry ) are 1.) Saho Akari ( no surprise there & found out during introductions the "r" sounds like a "d" as it does with Kamei Eri ) 2.) Furukawa Konatsu 3.) Kikkawa Yuu, for they both are the oldest at 18 & this ( if they made it to the final audition ) will be there absolute last chance. Afterward if I were them time to leave HiP & enter college 4.) Mori Saki 5.) Kitahara Sayaka & lastly Komine Momoka.

    Now after looking at your picks ( with out age ) we are perfectly flipped & with just Kitahara Sayaka. So until Dec 15th'ish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that's why. It was called a "newcomers concert"; new-ish C-ute member Kanna was there as well.

    And I agree about Saki. I hadn't watched that concert for a year or so, and I was quite surprised that they had her sing lead on two songs, considering her age. They definitely had ideas of what she might become (which is the best single in S/mileage, in my opinion).

    You got me on the Possible. I confess to not knowing any of the members except for Robin.

    Morisaki is someone I seriously considered putting on my list, but I sense that she would be a good leader for a small group. She just turned 17, so if a new group debuts in a year or two, I would consider her to be the prime candidate to lead them. Morisaki has no standout singing or dancing skills (but she's not bad), which is why I ultimately decided against listing her. I feel the other girls listed all are better than her (or have the potential to be).

    Momoka is someone I don't know a whole lot about, so I really can't comment on her.

    BTW, about the Japanese R thing - yeah, good catch. That's how the Japanese R is supposed to be pronounced. It's quite hard for English speakers to grasp. Tofugu describes it as 70% R, 20% L, and 10% D. Check this video out if you want more information: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2wzUuGm7yw

    ReplyDelete